Some of the busiest stations on the Expo Line are getting much needed upgrades and that includes Surrey Central Station; the busiest station in Surrey!
This bustling transit and community hub will be upgraded to meet the needs of the fast-growing municipality as well as our overall region, bringing more accessibility and create easier commutes for riders!
New features of the station include:
- A new north stationhouse with two new entrances at the north side of the existing station to make it easier and more convenient for people to take SkyTrain.
- Design elements such as improved lighting and glass walls to make the station safer and more secure.
- Three new escalators and a new elevator to improve access for customers with disabilities and make it more convenient for all customers to access the platform easily.
- New station design for the north stationhouse to better integrate with the surrounding community.
- 920 square metres of extra space will help improve passenger flow through the station.
Don’t worry about connecting to the library, mall, Surrey City Hall and all the amenities around the station because access is not changing!
Customers will continue to use the existing exits and entrances to the station. However, those who previously used the emergency exit on the north side of the platform will exit from the south entrances as the emergency exit will be demolished as part of this project.
Work will begin this spring and is expected to be complete by the end of 2018.
Author: Adrienne Coling