Beginning April 6, transit on the North Shore is being boosted to provide more frequent and reliable bus service. With the upcoming introduction of the R2 RapidBus along Marine Drive, there will be several additions of new routes and adjustments to existing routes on the North Shore. These changes will allow the North Shore transit network to better integrate with the high frequency RapidBus route.
New North Shore bus routes
R2 Marine Dr (Park Royal/Phibbs Exchange)
- High frequency RapidBus service with limited stops
- 8 to 10-minute service every day from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- 15-minute evening service every day from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
222 Willingdon Express
- Express service with only six stops
- Serves Phibbs Exchange, the Kootenay Loop, Hastings and Willingdon, Brentwood Town Centre SkyTrain Station, BCIT, and Metrotown
- 10-minute peak service
- Former 125 (Patterson/BCIT) customers are encouraged to switch to the new express service
245 Phibbs Exchange/Capilano University
- 10-minute peak service during summer months
- More service coming fall 2020 for the new school year
Adjusted North Shore bus routes
240 Lynn Valley/Downtown
- Terminus extending from Grand Boulevard to Lynn Valley to integrate with the R2 RapidBus
28 Joyce Station/Phibbs Exchange and 130 Metrotown/Phibbs Exchange
- Terminus moved from Capilano University to Phibbs Exchange
239 Park Royal/Capilano University
- Service replaced by R2 RapidBus, and increased service on routes 240 and 255
Other major permanent service increases
31 River District/Metrotown (New Service)
- Will provide a direct bus connection to the Expo Line for residents of the River District
319 Scott Road Station/Scottsdale Exchange/Newton Exchange
- Introducing 4 to 8-minute service all day on weekdays until 10:30 p.m.
- Increasing to 4-minute peak service between Scottsdale Exchange and Scott Road Station
Each year, TransLink temporarily increases service during the spring and summer months to key tourist destinations like ferry terminals, parks, and beaches. On April 6, service will increase on route 620 (Bridgeport Station/Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal). In May, service will increase on route 19 (Metrotown/Stanley Park) to reflect growing demand.
In May, service will be temporarily reinstated on the 42 (Alma/Spanish Banks), 150 (White Pine Beach/Coquitlam Central Station), 179 (Buntzen Lake/Coquitlam Central Station), and 236 (Grouse Mountain/Pemberton Heights/Lonsdale Quay) until the fall.
TransLink also temporarily decreases service to post-secondary institutions in these months, as there are less students travelling to and from campus. Service will temporarily reduce on routes 9, 42, 145, 258, and 480.