Next week is I Love Transit Week – and the Buzzer’s first live meetup!

Here’s the surprise I warned you about in the February Buzzer: from Feb 23-27, it’s going to be I Love Transit Week on the blog!

Why? Because while there are things we don’t like about transit, I know there are many things that we do like about the system. And there just hasn’t been an official opportunity to celebrate what we like – until now!

So next week, I’ll have essays, discussion posts, and more, encouraging you to share what you enjoy about transit and what the system means to you. Plus I’ll cram the March print Buzzer as full as I can with your contributions from this week.

(If you want to write an essay, photo essay or put together any other transit tribute, please email me your contribution and I’ll put it up during the week!)

The Buzzer’s first live meetup!

A sampling of the I Love Transit buttons that will be available! Four of these have been designed by the kind and super talented <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmv/>Jason Vanderhill</a>.

A sampling of the I Love Transit buttons that will be available, thanks to the Mustache Press! Four of these have been designed by the kind and super talented Jason Vanderhill.

I Love Transit Week will also include the Buzzer blog’s first live meetup: I Love Transit Night!

Come down to the End Café on Thursday Feb. 26, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.! (2360 Commercial Drive – it’s located right next to Commercial Drive Station.)

We’re going to play transit games and test everyone’s knowledge of the system. I’ll also have buttons, bus and SkyTrain cutouts, and more fun transit-related items on hand. And while we can’t provide the drinks, appetizers will be supplied. All ages and levels of transit-nerdery are welcome!

If you’re coming, please RSVP to thebuzzer@translink.bc.ca – I’d like to get a head count so I can plan for food and such.

And let’s get this week started early — feel free to share what you like (or even love!) about transit in the comments below!

• By Derek Cheung, February 20, 2009 @ 3:36 pm

Hey,

Sounds neat!

Any buttons that say “I love trolleys”?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 20, 2009 @ 4:29 pm

Yes, there indeed will be :)

• By Vitus, February 21, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

Urgh,… to bad it’s on a Thursday. I would be there in a heartbeat, but my parents don’t let me out much on school nights,… We’ll see! I’d love to meet other transit enthusiasts and share eachothers thoughts on the system. Jhenifer, I might or might not show,… please put me on a maybe list,… Thank-you!

• By Huh, February 21, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

I love transit week? Who are you guys kidding?! BC Transit has been rated as the worst transit system in Canada! What’s next, Vancouver is the safest place in Canada week?

• By Vitus, February 21, 2009 @ 6:13 pm

BC Transit doesn’t run our system, Translink does. Along with its subsidaries which include CMBC (Coast Mountain Bus Company), Skytrain, West Coast Express, Albion Ferry, Handy dart,… Although it’s not the best, it needs some help and support to start making good decisions. If you don’t like it, look away.

• By Eric, February 22, 2009 @ 10:13 pm

Love the <3 Transit concept. Hope it becomes an annual thing. And oh yes, I’m gonna be at the meetup! (Do you want me to RSVP formally by e-mail?)

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 23, 2009 @ 9:08 am

Thanks Eric — your comment works quite well as an RSVP! I’m looking forward to seeing you there!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 23, 2009 @ 11:30 am

Vitus: I’ve got you on the list as a “maybe.” Thanks for trying to make it, though! Sorry about the Thursday date — I was trying to avoid conflicts with the Canucks game on Friday. Hope you might still be able to attend!

• By Paul Hillsdon, February 23, 2009 @ 12:54 pm

Hey Jhenifer,

Great to see you launching live meetups! That real life connection beyond the web is vital to creating a vibrant community of transit enthusiasts. You’re doing wonderful stuff with the blog. Keep up the great work and please put me on the maybe list. I’ll try my best to show up!

• By George P., February 24, 2009 @ 10:12 pm

Derek: don’t you already HAVE a button like that? ;)

Jhenifer: I AM SO THERE. Count me in!

• By David Lam, February 24, 2009 @ 10:29 pm

Hey Jhenifer,

Myself and George Prior will be attending this event…….we are both looking forward to it! Just a fun fact for everyone: We are two of the three transit enthusiasts interviewed on the Buzzer Blog in December 2008, the proud owners of Trans-Vancouver, one of the most reputable transit photography sources within the community of transit enthusiasts and hobbyists in Metro Vancouver!

• By Eugene Wong, February 25, 2009 @ 1:42 am

BC Transit used to run this system, and they won an award for the best system in North America, I think.

I honestly think that that the awards change every year. I don’t for certain.

• By Tony Chung, February 26, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

What a great idea! Too bad I’m working. Jhenifer, were you at NorthernVoice last weekend? I was going to mention Translink’s blog in my Working blog presentation but didn’t get to that point in my time allotment. Next time.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 26, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

Ahh — I was going to go to Northern Voice, but I got the flu that weekend and couldn’t make it! I’m still recovering actually. I was really looking forward to going :(

• By Victoria, July 12, 2010 @ 8:55 pm

I’ve tried transit in other major cities in Canada / US and while it isn’t perfect; I can at least figure out how to get from point A to B online. And Vancouver has a system that gets you from point A to B. Other places, well it’s not so easy online and everything seems based off of what bus stop number you want to use. Well when you are new in a city you don’t know what bus stop number you want, but you know the intersection you need to get to it’s very frustrating. Delays may not get me there on time but at least in Vancouver with maps and information I know I’m at least on the right bus or train.

• By ;-), July 12, 2010 @ 9:21 pm

I found Google Maps universal when traveling in transit in other cities (ie Honolulu & San Francisco). It seems no different than in Vancouver. Google Maps recognizes my blackberry location and I just tell it my destination. Voice search takes some practice, but does work saving my thumbs.

Translink website works when I type “at” to separate two intersecting streets.

1. re:place Magazine — February 22, 2009 @ 9:26 am

2. Meetups of interest and more! « rickie rambles randomly — February 22, 2009 @ 10:18 pm