ALERT! More info

The June 2012 Buzzer is out!

The June 2012 Buzzer is now on board all buses, SeaBus, SkyTrain, and West Coast Express!

Most of the Buzzer is devoted to the bus service changes happening on June 25, 2012—all of the changes are online here. There are regular seasonal changes, as well as changes coming as part of the service optimization project that we talked about in 2010. (See a couple of interviews on this topic from April, and June 2011.)

And I’m pleased to share a profile of transit operator and actor B.K. Singh Rakhra, who was nominated for an award this year! Check out the print Buzzer for more info.

Again, we’re quite proud to have a cover from a local illustrator: this time it’s Jeffrey Ellis. Thanks Jeff!

If you can’t get the Buzzer on the system, you can always read it in PDF form on our website. Visit our Buzzer PDF archives, or grab this direct link to the PDF.

Remember to enter the FareCard contest too! You can win a free FareCard in every issue of the Buzzer: read the issue, then email in your info and the answer to the trivia question by Tuesday, June 26 at 9 a.m.. We’ll pick a winner from all the correct answers, and that person will be notified by phone shortly after the draw.

Enjoy the latest Buzzer as always! Comments are welcome below.

• By Eugene Wong, June 8, 2012 @ 11:17 am

Thanks for the Surrey improvements, Translink!

Last time, some of the Surrey improvements seemed unnecessary, but this time around, they all seem to be in the right direction.

I especially like the fact that many of the first trips are coordinated to meet with SkyTrain first thing in the morning. It saves us from having to look at different parts of the schedule. As usability experts love to say, “Don’t make me think!”.

• By Eugene Wong, June 8, 2012 @ 11:34 am

I noticed that the #326 still travels on 140 St. This does not seem optimized. Have the planners looked at this and concluded that the #326 *must* travel on 140 St, in order to remain optimized? It seems inappropriate, when King George gets more crush loads than 140 St.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, June 8, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

Hey Eugene — I sent your comment on to our planning department and here’s the response.

Eugene’s suggestion is an interesting one. The route of the 326 certainly isn’t set in stone, and rerouting via King George could indeed alleviate some crowding there. It’s something we’ll definitely consider through our ongoing optimization efforts as the transit network in Surrey matures towards the vision set out in the South of Fraser ATP. Thanks for the input!

• By Eugene T.S. Wong, June 8, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

I find that very interesting, since I sent in the idea once. On another occasion, I asked directly, when I coincidentally met the planner in person. In both situations, it seemed like it was not important enough. The last guy said that I would have to get a whole bunch [a couple hundred maybe] to write their own letters and then send them in. He said that petitions wouldn’t count. I was truly offended.

If Translink is serious about thinking about the realignment, then I’d love to chat with the planners about it. I could try to point out all the advantages and benefits.

This is really important to me, even though the issue no longer affects me.

• By Marvin B, June 9, 2012 @ 2:56 am

Cut & paste sometimes doesn’t work. The #17 will not travel along Howe Street in the summer, I’m pretty sure about that. The June changes says otherwise. I’m certain the #17 will continue along Cambie southbound in the downtown area.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, June 11, 2012 @ 10:05 am

Eugene: I passed along your last response to our planning team and here’s the reply.

Thanks Eugene, it’s a change that would require consultation to assess the potential impacts to existing customers. There are certainly competing priorities for changes to the network where real gaps exist or where there are chronic overcrowding and reliability issues. But that isn’t to say we’re not open to making this type of change if the resources are available and it improves the overall network. Please feel free to call the customer feedback line (604.953.3040) or fill in a formal customer feedback form with your suggestion and a planner will get back to you. Thanks again!

• By Eugene T.S. Wong, June 11, 2012 @ 10:32 am

Thanks, Jhenifer!

Somehow, everything seems clearer when looked at through The Buzzer Blog! I could imagine that being a motto or byline or something like that. :^D

• By Eugene Wong, June 11, 2012 @ 10:36 am

Jhenifer, do you or the planners know of a way for us customers to do the consultation for the planners? The idea is that if we could do the consultation for Translink, then we might be able to speed up the process, and be able to prioritize it just a little.

• By Derek Cheung CMBC, June 12, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

Yet ANOTHER Buzzer cover illustration with a trolley bus!

Though I highly doubt that tiny trolley would handle the loads on the #20 line…

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, June 13, 2012 @ 9:08 am

Eugene: What a lovely compliment about the Buzzer making everything clearer :)

I don’t know of a way for customers to do the consultation. I think there might be challenges with opening that process up, because groups with specific interests may skew results, and we prefer to do these types of consultation as part of a regional process, so changes to one bus route are balanced with regional needs.

But I appreciate the sentiment. You’re absolutely right that customers care about their service, and advocating for the service you want to see is an important part of delivering good service. In the interim, the best thing we can offer is sending your feedback in via our formal feedback form, and/or gathering likeminded people in the area together to formally advocate for change.

• By Adrienne Coling, June 6, 2016 @ 10:22 am

Hi all,

Starting today, June 6, 2016, Customer Relations (CR) and Customer Information (CI – the folks on Twitter!) are merging into one call centre.

This means when you call 604-953-3333 you will still get transit information, but you can also leave feedback at this number as well.

Thanks!

1. The Buzzer blog » Heads up: bus service changes coming June 25, 2012 — June 12, 2012 @ 4:24 pm