Links and tidbits is our semi-regular roundup of interesting fodder about transportation from the last few weeks or so. If you have links to contribute, put them in the comments, or email us.
To encourage citizens to take transit, advertising agency Forsman & Bodenfors created this ad on behalf of Västtrafik, the public transport agency in the county of Västra Götaland, Sweden. In addition, Västtrafik is also offering free public transportation for a limited time of two weeks.
- Here’s a fun one for frequent commuters, sent in by previous Buzzer editor Jhenifer Pabillano (we miss you!). Daniel Disselkoen, from The Hague, creates an urban game for travelers on trams called “Man-Eater”.
- The Greater Greater Washington blog compares the lighting in Vancouver’s Waterfront Canada Line SkyTrain Station with Washington’s Gallery Place-Chinatown Station. It’s amazing how lighting affects the space!
- As a frequent commuter, I am all ears when it comes to tools to make my trips on transit easier. In addition the TransLink’s own mobile website m.translink.ca, as well as a few other great transit apps, the Vancouver Observer recently shared another tool called Translink Bus Tracker.
- Are you transportation-savvy? Take a quiz to test your transportation knowledge on the website for Moving in a Livable Region. Thank you to Monty Burt for sharing! Comment below and tell us your score.
- As reported in Surrey Now – a regular person becomes a hero, when Brian Fleetwood jumped down into the SkyTrain tracks to help a gentleman who suffered a seizure and fell in. Brian and two other men were able to lift the injured man out of the SkyTrain’s path, where paramedics whisked him away to the hospital.*Just a reminder to all passengers that there is an emergency button on all SkyTrain platforms to stop the train in case of incidents such as this.
- Illustrated Vancouver shares these beautiful images of the Vancouver skyline, by Roger Kemble.
- Imagine the man next to you on the SkyTrain was your admired celebrity. Vibe reports that Jay-Z, Timbaland and Chris Martin were spotted hopping on the London Underground. Recording artist Rihanna looks to be having quite a bit of fun with her fellow commuters. Have you spotted celebrities on transit before?
- As Halloween slowly creeps up, it’s time to start preparing your scary costumes. The Vancouver Public Space Network (VPSN) will be hosting their annual Halloween SkyTrain Party on the Canada Line on October 31!