More convenient schedule for customers and extra space on vessels
Beginning on Monday, August 3, weekday SeaBus departures will occur every 15 minutes between 7:15 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and 9:15 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on weekends. A holiday schedule will be in effect on BC Day. Currently 15-minute sailings only occur during weekday rush hours.
This boost in sailings will provide more convenient and allow extra space for customers. Demand is expected to continue increasing as B.C.’s economy reopens and as British Columbians undertake more travel within the province this summer.
TransLink’s Safe Operating Action Plan has also implemented the following measures to increase safety for SeaBus customers:
- Reduced SeaBus maximum capacity to 50 per cent
- Enhanced cleaning protocols by using a disinfectant fog twice per week in addition to daily cleaning schedules
- Decals and signage installed asking customers to keep physical distance and wash their hands in the terminal washrooms before boarding
- New boarding procedure to promote physical distancing during busy periods by preventing customers from lining up in middle loading ramps
- Recommending customers wear masks while on board and waiting for the SeaBus
Weekly SeaBus boardings (every time a passenger enters a fare paid zone using Compass fare media or proof of payment.) have more than tripled since the pandemic’s low point in early April. However, SeaBus boardings remain at roughly 25 per cent of the levels they were at last year.
TransLink will continue to monitor ridership throughout the system and make service adjustments as necessary to provide as much space as possible for customers.