ALERT! :  More info

Ask TransLink: Brian Revel, bus operator

asktranslink

From April 15 to May 10, you can Ask TransLink! We’re spotlighting one TransLink staff member every week and inviting you to ask them questions about their work. Find out all about the series.

Brian Revel, bus operator!

Brian Revel, bus operator!

We’re super happy to welcome Brian Revel, bus operator, to the blog!

This week, Brian will be answering your questions from the road, stopping to check-in between his shifts on the 25 and 41 routes every day! (It’s true: feel free to say hi if you see him on your route!)

We’ll be taking questions for Brian until Friday, April 26, 2013 at noon. To kick things off, we asked him a few questions about his work driving buses for Coast Mountain Bus Company. Let’s go!

When did you start working as an operator with Coast Mountain Bus Company?

I began training with CMBC in November of 2007. I went “live” in January 2008. I have been a transit operator now for just under five-and-a-half years. Before that, I owned my own VIP touring company, à la carte specialty tours but I had to close the business because most of my clientele were Americans who suffered massive losses during the financial collapse in 2007. Prior to owning my own business, I drove tour coach for Gray Line of Vancouver.

What has the experience been like? What keeps you driving buses?

The experience has been a really positive one. I have been a life-long transit user and now that I’m on the ‘inside’ I have learned what it is to be on the other side of the red line. There was so much I didn’t know, so much I didn’t understand, about public transport before coming to CMBC. Apart from the technical side, I am truly impressed and honoured to know and work with such an incredible group of dedicated professionals throughout the entire Translink family.

What keeps me driving buses? I’m not too sure, to be honest. It kinda gets into your blood. There’s nothing like a corner office where the view always changes. Another thing about this job is that it’s the indoor-iest outdoor job around… or is it the outdoor-iest indoor job? Besides, I’m a people person and so my interactions with passengers and other folk throughout my day keeps me going. And hey- if you love your job, you never work a day in your life.

What routes have you driven? What are you driving now?

I work out of the Vancouver depot so I have only worked the routes that VTC services. The 26, 27, 28 and 29 as well as the express services are serviced by the Burnaby depot and most days the 49, as well as the 480 are serviced out of Richmond. Apart from these routes, I have driven every route in Vancouver.

Currently, I am driving on the #25 in the morning and the #41 in the afternoon.

I understand you’ve received commendations in the past: what have they been for?

You’d be surprised. It’s the little things that matter most, I guess. They are mostly for being friendly, giving information, greeting people when they get on the bus, calling out the stops. Stuff like that.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I have a little campaign I do on my bus about once a month… it’s called, Say Hi on the Bus which made 24Hrs. I was interviewed for Career Trek – here’s the video. And I have competed in the Bus Roadeo and have placed 1st for VTC each time, this year placing 4th overall!

Thanks Brian!

Okay you guys – over to you! Please feel free to submit your questions in the comments below, and we’ll get Brian to answer them for you until Friday, April 26, 2013 at noon!

• By raymond, April 22, 2013 @ 8:26 am

Hi why is it sometimes the buses are behindschedule

• By Kelly, April 22, 2013 @ 9:47 am

When buses are late, do drivers manage to keep a track of time?

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 22, 2013 @ 10:10 am

Hi Kelly: Are you asking if operators note that they are late or if they try to get back on schedule? Thanks for the question!

• By Nick, April 22, 2013 @ 10:15 am

Coast Mountain Bus operates many types of buses (Nova Buses, New Flyers old and new), so my question for Brian is which make/model is his favourite one to drive?

Or all of the buses built a certain way to provide the same driving experience despite different bus manufacturers?

Thanks! :)

• By Shawna, April 22, 2013 @ 10:47 am

My question is why do some drivers demand that some people pay and if they don’t, they are not allowed entry whereas other bus drivers just let people come on the bus who cannot afford to pay? I pay and it really frustrates me when I see bus drivers allowing people to come on the bus who have not paid.

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 22, 2013 @ 11:07 am

Hi raymond: Brian has an answer to you question:

Hi Raymond-
    Happy Earth Day to you and everybody following the Buzzer!

Great to start off with one of the most relevant question.

Schedules are really plans that reflect an educated guess when a bus will be at a certain location at a certain time.

As we know about plans, things often don’t work out exactly as we expect. In the case of a bus schedule, there are lots of factors that can affect whether a bus is on time or not.

The more obvious things are incidents like car accidents, construction, and adverse weather. However, there are other factors that play a role. The number of people we are carrying makes a big difference. For example, if a bus is carrying 10 or 20 more people than usual, it has had to make more stops to pick them up along the way. Then it has to make more stops to drop them off too. Then this has a snowball effect as the further behind the bus gets, the more people it encounters to pick up.

Also, sometimes the delay happens ‘up the line’. For example, a friend of mine drives the #7. If there is construction on Dunbar Street, the bus is delayed along the entire route. The snowball effect starts to have an effect and the initial delay of just two minutes on Dunbar might mean the bus is 12 minutes late by the time it is on Nanaimo Street.

Having trolleys exacerbates the delays because trolley buses can’t pass each other so when gets behind, the ones after it get held up.

Sometimes a bus will pull well past the stop to drop off because it’s behind and the driver wants you to take the next bus which is probably right behind. We do this so we can get back on time.

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 22, 2013 @ 11:11 am

Hi Kelly: Brian has taken a shot at your question. I hope he has the right answer for you:

Whether we are on time or not, transit operators are first concerned with driving safely. Time may be of the essence but if we start to fall behind there is little the operator can do.

If a particular bus on a particular route is consistently late, the driver can make a note of it, submitting a report detailing what the cause might be and where on the line it happens so the schedulers can make appropriate adjustments. But these processes take time and often the adjustment isn’t incorporated for several months.

Translink has made a significant investment in real-time GPS tracking with its Transit Management and Communications system (TMAC). Now, instead of snapshots taken by transit checkers every so often or relying on the operators’ feedback, schedulers can query the data that is accumulated to get an exact picture of how each bus route is performing at any given moment of any given day. The more data the schedulers have, the more accurately and precisely they can plan. So while operators still file reports I imagine schedulers rely mostly on the TMAC data.

• By Lisa, April 22, 2013 @ 11:18 am

Why are the buses so loud when they are lowering the ramp for people? Can anything be done about this, especially in more residential areas?

• By Meredith, April 22, 2013 @ 11:28 am

My question is: Do you have any tips for passengers to help enforce bus etiquette? I am a bit dismayed when people have loud music, are eating and then littering, or won’t move for pregnant and/or older women. I feel like bus drivers don’t want to cause a scene, but I’m not sure how to help make sure buses are comfortable for all socioeconomic riders… Thank you.

• By Terry Hoffman, April 22, 2013 @ 11:33 am

My question has to do with driver performance and training. A critical component to a safe, pleasant ride is whether the driver has a lead foot on the gas and brake. I’ve begun to recognize drivers on the routes I take regularly. Some I regard as a menace – every take-off is too fast, every brake is too hard. If you’re standing, this is a nightmare. I’ve been injured once, thanks to being thrown sideways by a driver who stopped too hard. (As an aside: I understand that sometimes stopping short is required, thanks to traffic flow; I’m addressing drivers who do this habitually, regardless of traffic flow.)

Are drivers being trained and evaluated properly over time? Why do some drive this way and others don’t? And what can a rider do to complain?

• By raymond, April 22, 2013 @ 11:55 am

The other question i have is why is it sometimes on the destination sign in front of the bus, i can barely make out what it says, i saw this on a 41

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 22, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

Nick: Brian got back to me with an answer to your question. Shawna, Brian has run out of time on his break to answer questions, so he’ll look at your question tonight! Now, back to Nick’s question:

Which make and model of bus is my favourite? I like different buses for different reasons. I really like the articulated trolley buses. They are heavy so they’re really smooth on the road. I really love the fact that I’m driving a very rare vehicle in North America too. There are trolley systems only in Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Dayton, Philadelphia and Boston. I also love the fact that trolley buses are completely zero-emission vehicles, powered by hydro-electricity.

I also really like the Nova hybrid buses. They too are smooth and quiet.

For most of us, a bus is a bus is a bus. They start slowly. Turn slowly. Stop slowly. And they all carry a lot of people. But there are small differences between them. Some are more powerful, on some the doors open more quickly, and others are more quiet. Seating position and ergonomics differ greatly and some prefer the Novas to the New Flyers to the Orions just because of that.

• By zack, April 22, 2013 @ 3:07 pm

Why do the Nova hybrids occasionally give off blue smoke?

• By Erica, April 22, 2013 @ 3:35 pm

My question is: what is the official policy on drivers waiting for people who they can clearly see are running to catch the bus? Especially if it’s a bus that only comes once every half an hour or less frequently.

• By Eric, April 22, 2013 @ 6:32 pm

Hey my question is what happens if ur coach breaksdown and what do you like driving better diesels or trolleys

• By Jeff, April 22, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

Hi

My question is what are those three digit numbers in the bottom corner of the windshield. Does a 1 there mean its the first bus out of the depot? Also was curious how often the fare boxes break down since I seem to frequently see them out of service.

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 23, 2013 @ 10:19 am

And here’s Brian’s answer to Shawna’s question:

Hi Shawna-

Fare payment, or lack thereof, is a sensitive issue for sure. There are those who conscientiouslu pay their fare and then wonder where the fairness is when someone else rides free of charge. On the other hand, there are those who appreciate that there are ways still to give people a break.

Bus operators are always focusing on providing a valuable and safe service to the public. Sometimes drivers have to use their discretion when people are unable to pay. The ongoing challenge is that operators face the risk of assault for less than asking for fare payment. So when an operator is out there asking for fares, she or he is vulnerable to assault.

When I started with CMBC the policy was “inform don’t enforce”. Today, we are essentially ambassadors at the front door and fare enforcement is the role Transit Security and Transit police. Our responsibility is to get our riders to their destination safely.
    But in my view- as it is the view of the company- asking for $2.75 fare payment is not worth the price of an assault.

So, I like to think of it this way: the bus is going wherever it’s going anyway. Thank you for doing your part and paying your fare. You are doing the right thing. You are respecting the transit system, but more importantly, you are respecting yourself. And at the end of the day, I’d rather get you to where you’re going with as little delay and stress on you as I can. So give yourself permission to let go of your concern and know that one day eventually, karma will catch up with the fare evader. If not a Transit Security or police office who will issue a ticket for $174.00.

Lisa, Brian has your answer too!:

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your question regarding the noise the ramps make while they are being deployed.

The buses are equipped with safety devices to warn people that out-of-the-ordinary stuff, is happening, like a ramp is being deployed or retracted.

Unfortunately, there is no way to make the beepers quieter. I can assure you, when we’re fighting a headache out there on the road, those noises can be a bit much for us too. Although most people do notice the ramp moving unfortunately even at the beeper’s volume, people still miss the fact the ramp is being deployed and trip over it or walk straight into it!

Fortunately, it has only been once when someone tripped on the ramp while I was deploying it. And fortunately still, only the lady’s ego was bruised. But Oh, the paperwork. :-(

For some, it’s the sound of air rushing as we lower the buses that makes the noise.

You may not know this but the bus’ suspension are, for lack of a better description, heavy-duty balloons. When we lower the front of the bus we are letting the air out of those air bags. The air is under huge pressure under the weight of the bus and so it comes out of the valve very fast. The hissing sound can sometimes be really really loud.

A couple of years ago I asked the maintenance manager who was also a civil engineer if it was possible to put mufflers on the air outlet.

He told me that to add a muffler would be a modification of crucial systems of the bus. It would have to be first engineered by the bus manufacturer, installed, and then inspected. And after a couple of for-instances he shared with me, it became clear that even that seemingly simple solution is not as simple as it appears. Plus, the price tag would be massive, considering we have over a thousand buses in the fleet.

So I’m sorry to say, there’s little that can be done.

I too can hear these sounds quite easily where I live. You and I will have to remember when we hear these sounds, that they are there for passengers with mobility issues and for the well being of passersby.

I’ve noticed that as of late, at least on the trolleys in Vancouver, that some of them have a new beeper. It seems to beep faster, like a finch that has had a Red Bull energy drink and it doesn’t seem to echo in my head so much. Maybe this is something they have been working on. Or maybe it’s the only available replacement part. In either case, it’s possible that your concern is being resolved after all!

Meredith. Here’s Brian’s answer to you etiquette question (don’t forget that we also run an etiquette awareness campaign – translink.ca/petpeeves:

Hi Meredith-
    Thanks for your question- I was expecting it! I have thought long and hard about the answer and still I don’t really have a good answer. How can I put it?

Have you seen people drop candy wrappers on the street or in the park?

Have you simply walked down the street only to be blown off the sidewalk by the sub-woofer in somebody’s car?

Have you ever seen an episode of COPS or Jerry Springer on TV?

Sometimes its that someone isn’t mindful of others or of what they are or aren’t doing. Sometimes it’s sheer thoughtlessness. Sometimes it’s simply that they don’t know better.

And yes, sometimes, sadly, it’s about respect or lack thereof. And what is sadder still, is that although there is a blatant lack of respect for fellow riders, the real person each of these folk is disrespecting is his or herself.

Is there anything the operator can do about it? Quite honestly, not really. We have no “power” and while we may have some authority, we’re simply not equipped nor mandated to enforce anything (see answer 4 about how we might deal with fare non-payment).

Riding the bus is one of those societal melting-pot experiences. For better or for worse, that is life in all its glory.

Never forget: no matter who we are, no matter how we find ourselves in the great Bus-Ride-of-Life, we are all miracles. Here on this green earth, we are all perfect miracles having an imperfect human experience, one way or another. And some of us are lucky enough to be having an easier go of it than others.

Terry, here’s what Brian had to say about training:

Hi Terry,
    Thanks for your question.

First, allow me to say that I am sorry that you were injured once while riding on the bus. It is a reasonable expectation that people who ride the bus do so knowing that they will be safe. For you, this clearly did not happen and I hope that your injuries were not too serious and that you have recovered fully.

Out of professional courtesy, I cannot comment on my fellow operators’ driving styles. We are all trained by an excellent and conscientious group of instructors following a first-rate curriculum. The six-week training program we go through is, in my humble opinion having taken many training programs in my day, the very best I have ever had. The training department does do check-rides and provides the operator with a critique at the end so the operator knows what aspects of his or her driving could do with polishing. In very rare circumstances, a short re-training period could be mandated.

The take-away here is that our absolute priority is the safe operation of the bus while comfort is a more subjective and relative criterion. Certainly it is something to be desired but a buttery-smooth ride is not required.

While it might be fair to concede that there are some operators who might be a little less delicate on the throttle and brake I must stress that we are all very conscientious when it comes to safety. Having people falling on our bus makes for a bad day for us operators too and one way to ensure that people don’t fall is to drive as smoothly as we can.

That said, it is not always the operator’s fault that the ride can be abrupt.

I know that a bad workman will blame his tools but in this case I feel there is a real mitigating circumstance. All modern buses have two braking systems. The system we all know about is the air brake system over which the driver has full control. But piggybacked onto the air brake system is a transmission retarder in the diesel buses which also slows the bus down. The driver has no control over this system at all: it’s completely automatic.

On some buses, these retarders are quite aggressive and with each downshift in gears as the bus slows, the retarder kicks in hard then relents, then kicks in hard again. It feels like the operator has stomped on the brake pedal right to the floor and then released it, only to stomp on the pedal once again. What has really happened is the operator has applied a little brake, kept his or her foot there unmoved and the transmission retarder has done the rest. As a “smoothie”, I find it very, very challenging to balance out the herky-jerky nature of the retarder on these buses.

Although we may be transit operators, up there in our super-human abilities with Zeus or Apollo, ;-) we too are human. Admittedly, sometimes we are a little hard on the throttle and the brake- in an oft-vain attempt to stay on time or catch up. Sometimes it’s a result of a misjudgement. And yes, as you point out, sometimes we are reacting to fast changing situations in traffic.

If you find the situation exceptionally untenable, you can call the customer relations number found on the back of the transfer or bus pass. Note the bus number, route, time of day and direction. Explain what was upsetting you. But please remember that sometimes these sorts of things are outside the operator’s control.

As a customer service expert going back almost 30 years, please remember to be as quick to compliment as well as to complain. Lessons are better learned with the carrot of positive reinforcement rather than the stick of negative reinforcement. I say this with regards to all interactions in all situations- not just bus rides. :-)

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 23, 2013 @ 12:19 pm

Hi Raymond,

Brian got back to me with an answer to your second question regarding signage at the front of buses. Here it is!:

Hi Raymond-

There are two types of signs on the front of buses: LEDs and ones with little coloured circles. Most of the signs now are made up of an array of LEDs which we’ve been using since 1999. They have internal sensors which are programmed to glow in bright sunlight and then dim when in shadows, when its overcast or it’s night time.

Because our fleet varies in age, some buses have newer technology while others have older equipment. With each new generation of bus we buy comes new LEDs which improve over the years. Some of those improvements include increased visibility from various angles as well as the ability to adjust to brightness quicker.

So you might have been seeing an older LED sign that was in transition from the dim mode to the sunny mode, where you were in the bright sun but the sign had not yet gone bright. Or perhaps the sensor was on the fritz.

The oldest signs in our fleet use little coloured circles instead of LEDs and those signs are now upwards of 15 years old. The little coloured circles have faded over time and they are, quite simply, harder to see.

In either case, there is nothing the operator can do. And besides, the operator cannot see the sign and so is completely unaware that there is a problem at all.

So here’s a solution- one that will help you and one that will help us. If a bus is approaching your stop but you’re not sure where it’s going, clearly indicate to the driver you want his or her bus. When the door opens, tell the driver you can’t read the sign and ask where the bus is going. That way, the operator can write the sign up for maintenance to inspect and if necessary, repair, and you can find out if that is the correct bus for you!

• By Seb, April 23, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

Thanks for doing this! I’ve really enjoyed every answer so far.

What’s one thing that always brightens your day, but very few passengers do?

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 23, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

Zack: Here’s Brian’s answer to your question about hybrids and blue smoke:

Hi Zack-
    Great question! Why do some of the Novas blow a puff of blue smoke?

The Nova Hybrids, just like all other hybrid vehicles like the Toyota Prius have an electric motor as well as a gas engine- or a Diesel engine in the case of the Nova.

Diesel engines operate best at an optimal temperature range and computers that monitor and regulate the engine do certain things to either allow the engine to warm up or cool down to stay in that range. When they’re cool, the computer will close radiator shutters or, in the case of the Nova hybrid bus, fire up an auxiliary heater to quickly warm it up.

The diesel engine in the hybrid is smaller than the engine in a normal diesel bus so it doesn’t generate as much heat as a regular sized engine. If the driver turns on the heat for passengers, the driver is drawing a lot of heat from the engine. If the temperature of the engine drops below the minimum threshold the computer will start the auxiliary heater.

The heater itself works like a tiny jet engine, compressing the diesel fuel until it burns. What you are seeing is the smoke from a drop or two of diesel fuel that is only partially burned as the auxiliary heater itself warms up.

Peering into one of the inspection panels, you can see the auxiliary heater. It’s about the size of a breadbox. I’ve included a photo of the one on the bus I was driving this morning. Permalink: http://buzzer.translink.ca/?attachment_id=23178 View Attachment Page

Erica: Brian has some info for you about people running for buses:

Hi Erica…

Wow. I totally know where you’re coming from with this question. I swear if I were to write an autobiography I’d call the book, “I missed the bus… AGAIN”! Nothing, and I mean, nothing is more frustrating than to be just inches from getting on a bus only for it to pull away. Grrrrr!

To answer your question directly, the answer is no, there is no policy.

But to be honest, there can’t be a policy. Out there on the road, the operator is faced with countless decisions to make, some of them arbitrary, but all of them affecting people’s journeys.

Sadly, there are times when the driver just can’t wait. Imagine- a driver waits for every runner coming up to the bus. 10 seconds here, 20 seconds there… after a few stops that can amount to 3 or 4 minutes. Then, as I explained in my first answer about late buses, the delay becomes cumulative. A couple of 20-second waits can amount to being late by 10 minutes down the line.

Now people on the bus are missing connections and appointments- despite the fact that they were at their respective bus stops on time.

That is why people are encouraged to be at the stop 5 minutes prior to the scheduled arrival of the desired bus. That way, the bus only has to stop the time schedulers expect it to be stopped.

But believe it or not, it is possible the driver did not see the person running. Before I came to transit, I always thought that if I run alongside the bus the driver will see me. Well, surprise! This is not so. To ensure you can be seen by the driver, approach the bus 4 or 5 feet ( a little over a metre) away from the bus then turn to the door at the last moment.

I’ve included two pictures showing what the driver sees in the right-side mirror. The first photo is with the door closed. The driver can see the side of the bus and the whole sidewalk. But with the door open, the door itself blocks much of the driver’s view of the sidewalk… the area beside the bus where I thought was the best place to be.

Also, please don’t yell or shout- and never bang on the side of the bus. The driver is concerned for the well-being for everybody onboard. If a stranger is yelling and banging on the side of the bus, would you want that person, acting wildly on the bus? Honestly, neither does the driver. And that’s not good if you’re that stranger trying to get on the bus.

And that’s a lesson I never learned myself until I became a transit operator. Photo of bus operators view with door closed http://buzzer.translink.ca/?attachment_id=23179 photo of bus operators view with doors open http://buzzer.translink.ca/?attachment_id=23180

Eric: Here’s Brian’s answers to your questions:

Hello Eric-

Two questions here, actually.

So to your first question, What happens when a bus breaks down?

There’s not much we can do. I like to say that our mechanics, amazingly talented men and women that they are, fix the buses while we drivers- incredibly accomplished as well- break ‘em. That’s a joke, by the way. ;-)

All we can do is let the Transit communications centre know that we’re broken down and then park the bus. We’ll do what we can to accommodate our passengers by letting them know to grab the next bus. I know that if you’re on a bus that runs once an hour the wait can really be a bummer.

Meanwhile, the transit communications centre will dispatch a road services mechanic to try to fix the bus on site. If the mechanic can’t fix it, another bus will be dispatched from the yard.

Meanwhile, that bus is missing on the route and people are now having to wait twice as long as they expect before the next bus passes by their stop.

That is why it is so important for transit to have big maintenance facilities staffed with so many mechanics. We have to keep every bus we have in as close to perfect working condition so that our service is as reliable as we can humanly make it. Buses breaking down on the road makes for an unreliable transit system and an unreliable transit system will keep riders away.

To your second question, I have no absolute preference. I really like the trolleys because they’re smooth and quiet. I also like the fact that the trolleys themselves are kind of an attraction to the city.

But I also like to drive the diesels because there’s a little more flexibility as to where you can go and how to get there. Of all the diesels, my preference is the Nova hybrid.

Jeff: You’re a lucky man. Brian has not only provided a written answer to your questions about the numbers on the front of the buses, he’s also provided a video answer!

Hi Jeff-

You know, I always wondered what those numbers were for before I started working at transit.

That number identifies which bus it is on its schedule. For example, say a mechanic is looking for a certain bus on the 106 route. How does a planner or scheduler, looking on a schedule know which one to look for? The bus number is one way but the bus number changes from day to day.

That number, called a block number, is the way. Sometimes you might hear a driver talk about driving a 33 on a 25. That means that driver (in this case, that’s me, first thing in the morning) is driving a bus on the 25 line with the 33 in the windshield.

Strangely, they are not in numerical order. The bus that is ahead of me on the #25 is a 21 while the one after me is a 23. So our order is 21, 33 then 23!

It’s one of those mysterious things that is hard to explain but makes total sense when you’re working with these numbers all the time.

• By Karen Fung, April 23, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

Brian,

Some fascinating answers here so far! Thanks to the Buzzer editors for arranging this opportunity.

This may be a bit off the beaten path — how much input do drivers have during the bus purchasing, design, etc. process?

Your response to Terry makes me wonder if the braking issues are simply a limitation of the current state of bus technology, or if there were trade-offs made for different features in the course of deciding what to order. With more and more seniors taking transit, the jerkiness sometimes frankly makes me nervous as to whether buses are viable alternatives to private automobiles for fragile people.

Thanks again.

• By Kevin W., April 23, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

Hi Brian,
    Just out of curiosity, which bus route(s) do you enjoy driving the most in Vancouver, and why?

• By Cliff, April 23, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

What is the procedure for having to take an unscheduled detour? Is it any different if the detour ends up missing stops?

A couple years ago, my Greyhound bus was pulled over for excessive speeding. Coast Mountain Bus Company drivers are among the best, so I expect this doesn’t happen too often, but what happened the last time a driver was pulled over?

I’m not kidding about the fact that you guys are excellent drivers. What is it about CMBC that puts it a step above other bus companies in this regard?

• By Reva, April 23, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Hi Brian! Thanks for taking the time to provide such great answers to everyone’s questions, this thread is a very enjoyable and informative read!

My question is… How do you feel about people bringing cups of coffee on the bus? And what is Translink’s official policy on this? I’ve had several drivers explain to me that as long as the cup has a lid, and you take the used cup with you when you leave, it’s OK to bring coffee and other drinks on board.

I always thought that the policy was no open food or drinks on the bus, period. But so often now I see people bringing food and drinks on board and the operator doesn’t bat an eye. So, having seen this demonstrated day after day, and hearing drivers say what I mentioned above, imagine my dismay when last week a bus driver refused me entry onto his bus — the last bus of the evening, not to mention it was raining — because I had a small, lidded take-out cup of coffee with me. The ONE time I try to bring a drink on the bus in ages! It was cold and I needed sugar!

He pointed to the no food/drinks sign and loudly insisted that I leave the drink behind if I wanted to board. I even said please? I see other people do it all the time. Plus the bus was nearly empty, so the odds I’d spill it on someone were practically nil. He replied no, that’s the rule, are you getting on or not? So I reluctantly threw it in the trash and got on. To add insult to injury, there was already half a discarded ham sandwich on the back seat of the bus when I went to sit down. Grrr.

As a long-time responsible transit rider, I can’t argue with the rules. So I would like to know, as an employee, could you please explain what to us what the rules actually are, and are you allowed to make exceptions? Are there loopholes? Or are some drivers just more willing to argue about it than others? It would be nice to see the rules consistently enforced, or not enforced, across the board. What do you do on your bus?

Thanks :)

• By Enid Ho, April 24, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Hi Brian,

Thank you for answering all these questions, by the way. It really helps us understand your side of the story. I want to hear your opinion on people who bring huge baby strollers onboard the bus, and having to ask 2-3 people (sometimes seniors) to give up their seats to accommodate the large stroller.

In Switzerland, where I used to live, people who brought dogs on board have to pay for the dog. When I asked why, they simply replied “because the dog takes up space too.” I tend to agree that with the bus fares that we pay, we are essentially buying a piece of space to be on the bus (whether standing or sitting).

I can certainly understand that it is ok to bring in the large stroller and take up the entire front row of the designated seating when the bus is not very full. I find it infuriating, however, that people are being passed at stops when there is a huge stroller taking up 3-4 seats.

I know this is a very controversial topic, and would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this!

Second and less controversial question: why do bus drivers crank up the heat in the winter until it feels like a tropical (non)paradise?

• By Lisa, April 24, 2013 @ 10:19 am

Thank you for the great feedback, it’s very nice to finally fully understand why the buses are so loud! I might only have to hear it once every half hour at home, but you’re hearing it all shift is much worse, but yes it’s helping those in need and I can live with that! Thanks again!

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 24, 2013 @ 10:33 am

Seb: Brian has short but easy to do response for your question about things that brighten your day, but few passengers do:

Hi Seb-
    Thank you for asking!

You know, there are few things out there that brightens my day more than a big ol’ toothy smile.

Karen: Here’s your answer!:

Hi Karen-

Thank you for taking the time to read all my blah blah blah. Yes, this thread is a great idea. Thanks to the Buzzer team for making it happen!

Now to your question. How much input do drivers have during the bus purchasing, design etc process.

I chatted with Derek, a friend of mine about, this subject for you. He’s the point-guy for our union, the CAW local 111, when it comes to bus purchases. He is able to make suggestions about switch placement and where the sun visors go- little things like that. It may be that in the grand scheme of things this may seem like peanuts, but when we have to work in these buses all the time so little details are a big deal after a while. He tells me that he’s trying to get some lighting improvements in the next round of purchases, whenever that happens.

Actually, Karen, I’m not too sure asking a bus driver to decide on the bus is a good idea. Who knows- maybe we’d wind up with a fleet of buses just like this: http://goo.gl/o1yL7 or better yet: http://goo.gl/Gatim

Wouldn’t that be cool? The thing I love most about these buses is the fact there is a back door at the very back!

In all seriousness, decisions like these are huge. For example, each trolley cost about $1 million each. The average diesel bus is probably in the $400K range and considering we buy buses a couple dozen at a time, you can imagine a lot of people have a big stake in the final decision. There’s cost, delivery schedule, after-sales support, and warranties to name just a few considerations.

Kevin: Brian has some thoughts on his favourite routes:

Hey Kevin-
    Being the people person and former tour guide that I am, I really like the routes where there is a lot of friendly interaction with my passengers as well as visitors to the city.

I really like to do the #5 Robson and #6 Davie (they’re both actually the same route- a #5) and the #15 Cambie and #50 False Creek South (both are also the same route- a #15.) I also like the #4 that goes between UBC and Renfrew. Now that they’ve finally repaved Kingsway, I like the #19 too.

But I’m really enjoying my #25 and #41 on this schedule. Who knows- maybe I’ll do them again in the summer!

Cliff: And here’s Brian’s answer to your unscheduled detours question:

Hi Cliff-
    A couple of good questions, all wrapped up in an amazing compliment to all my colleagues out there on the road. Thank you for your vote of confidence!

Unscheduled detours are very rare. They might happen as a result of an accident or trolley wires that have come down and the whole intersection is blocked. Operators are not allowed to just willy-nilly go some other direction. We need to call the supervisory staff to assess the situation. They will make the decision as to where we need to go. If we’re still down the line a ways and have not yet come across whatever is causing the detour, we’ll get a message over our TMAC screen telling us to reroute.

Sadly, stops get missed and passengers (most of them) who are unaware of the reroute will wait at the stop for the bus wondering where it is. They’ll wait and wait and wait and wait and wait….

Hmmmm. Maybe they should be following @translink on Twitter, dontcha think? ;-)

Actually, with the advent of Translink’s award-winning twitter outreach (thanks to the same team who manage this blog) we are on the cutting-edge of keeping passengers informed about disruptions, both scheduled and unscheduled. We just don’t have the resources to put up a sign at every bus stop for a 20-minute reroute that is suddenly necessary in the middle of the afternoon rush hour. So something like Twitter is the next best thing.

The trolleys get special attention because they can go only so far away from the overhead before they dewire, so sometimes the driver has to pull the poles, drive around an obstacle and then reset the poles. The batteries are good for only about 4 blocks so we can’t stray too far from the wires. So sometimes, the detours are really big in a trolley. If the Granville Street bridge is blocked, we have to make our way over the Cambie Bridge. If Fir Street is closed, as it recently has been, the trolleys have to go along Broadway instead.

Yes, I know all about Greyhound (or Gray Line) drivers who have been pulled over for speeding. Tell me about it. It is terribly embarrassing. *Ahem* That was a long time ago. ‘Nuff said.

Now, where were we?

Oh yes- I have heard that occasionally, transit operators have been pulled over. However, it is a very, very rare thing. What happened? I honestly don’t know. I’d like to think that the officer who pulled the bus over gave the driver a winning Roll-up-the-rim cup filled with fresh coffee from Timmy’s, but somehow I kinda doubt that is what happened.

Reva: Brian has his answer to your popular question about beverages on transit. Let’s not forget about Transit Pet Peeve Hungry Hamster – http://www.translink.ca/petpeeves!

Reva-
    Your question is a really important one. I’m glad you asked.

The official company policy is: no food or drink allowed on the bus. The reasons behind this rule are obvious. If none of these items are ever on the bus, there’s no chance of someone’s food or drink spilling onto another passenger. There’s no chance of anybody getting burned if the driver has to suddenly stop the bus and a coffee goes flying across the aisle. Also, there’s no chance of someone sitting in the previous passenger’s pizza sauce that’s oozed onto the seat.

All that said, over time, it has become a discretionary matter because it is clear that most people are responsible. If the coffee is covered, there is little harm to have that in the view of most operators. As for food, most of us are a bit more leery about it, but as I’ve said before in the last couple of days, there’s really not a lot we can do. But still- every so often you will come across a driver who says that food and drink are not allowed. Them’s the rules. If I came across one of those drivers, even I’d have to put my cuppa java down. And I would.

Your particular circumstance, however, calls for special attention. You see, in the late evening, people tend to imbibe on drinks other than coffee. Those drinks are sometimes disguised as more innocuous items. Talk to any security guard who has worked a Rolling Stones concert or a Stanley Cup Final play-off game at Rogers Arena. Do you remember the flask disguised as binoculars that fans carried to the football games? That was a big one when I was going to university. So was that really coffee in that cup?

Now you know it was coffee, and I have no reason to doubt you. But I have the luxury of saying that I believe you in front of my computer, quaffing a herbal tea before calling it a night. For that operator, alone on the bus with a bus-load of post night-clubbing party-animals at some point on the trip, he didn’t have that luxury. Rules are rules. And for certain crowds, those rules are there for a reason.

He might even have believed that you had coffee in that cup. But the next person who got on could have had a plastic water bottle filled with a liquid that had a mysterious lager-y tinge to it with foam at the top. In response to being told “no drinks” could have pointed out your cup and said, “Well she can bring her drink onto the bus why can’t I?” At that point, the driver will have already lost control of the situation and it could go sideways from there really, really fast. And so for some drivers, in some circumstances, it’s best just to say “No” right from the start.

So it probably seemed really unfair and arbitrary when it happened to you, but I hope you can understand that the operator was most likely doing that with your safety in mind and his ability to manage what can sometimes be an almost impossible situation when the clubs let out for the night.

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 24, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

A note about Say Hi On The Bus day. http://www.facebook.com/sayhionthebus If you’d like to say hi to Brian, he’s on the #25 and #41 routes. Hi Brian!

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 24, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Enid: Brian has a couple of answers for you. The first is on heat on the bus and second is on strollers. We’ve written a lot on strollers on the bus before. Here’s a good link to accompany Brian’s answer – http://buzzer.translink.ca/2012/10/parenting-pet-peeves-on-transit/

Hi Enid-

Thank you for your questions. I’ll answer the last one first.

The heating on our buses are the source of frequent discontent. I know what it can be like- you’re all wrapped up against the damp cold we have in the lower mainland standing at the bus stop. Then, when you get on the bus it feels like 25°c or more.

I wish this were a simple issue but alas, it isn’t quite so. First of all, every bus has two temperature ‘zones’. The first is at the very front and is there to keep the windshield and driver side windows from getting all steamed up. The second zone is essentially the rest of the bus. While they operate independently, they do affect each other.

The climate we have in the lower mainland that of a temperate rainforest- jungle to use another term. If the driver doesn’t have the heat on in winter, that super saturated air(and there’s a lot of it when you wet folk get on the bus dripping from the rain, umbrellas and all) hits the cool window and instantly fogs up the glass. It can get so bad the steam on the glass actually beads up and drips down to the dashboard. The solution? Keep the windows warm.

While the defrost systems are really powerful in the buses, they still can’t handle 40 or 50 soaking wet people drying off… so we have to keep all the air on the bus moving, and heated to absorb as much of the moisture as we can.

Sitting right at the front of the bus, the driver is actually sitting in the defrost zone and is completely unaware of the temperature in the rest of the bus, relying on the thermostat to do its job.

If it’s too hot, open a window. Not only will you be helping by moving the air around, you’ll also be venting the heat as well as getting the moist air out of the bus.

An interesting side note- I took a tour of the Boeing 707 that served as Air Force One for Presidents Kennedy and Johnston in the United States. Apparently, Johnston was constantly complaining about the plane being too hot or too cold. But just like us bus drivers, the pilots only had a switch: on or off- they had no control over the actual temperature setting as it is automatic.

So to get the President of the United States off their backs about something they could do nothing about, they installed a thermostat in his office space so he could adjust the temperature himself. They never again heard him complain about the temperature.

The thing is, it was fake. It wasn’t hooked up to anything at all!

Now to your second question…

Strollers. Some of them can be the bane of our existence – Seriously. But putting judgement aside for a minute, sometimes things just don’t work out in the real world terribly well.

The official policy regarding strollers is that it’s OK to bring on a stroller that has the floor dimensions of 2 feet wide by 4 feet long. That’s 8 square feet. If you measure out 2 x 4 feet, that’s the equivalent of one of the original folding umbrella strollers with the cutesy hooky handles. They don’t carry anything more than a small infant- certainly not a week’s worth of grocery shopping from Costco.

Nowadays, strollers have become little SUVs all on their own. Double-wide, or double-long. I’ve even had triple-long strollers on the bus. You should see the look on the face of the kid sitting in the front seat of that stroller as the ‘stroller driver’ is putting it into a wheelie to get it onto the bus. The poor kid’s eyes bug out as he or she is unceremoniously hoisted at least a metre into the air only to be slammed down onto the floor of the bus. Only I can see the expression and I have to say it’s priceless.

Also, the official order of priority is, when demand dictates, the stroller must give way to people with mobility devices, including walkers. If anybody who falls into the needing mobility device category, the child must be taken out of the stroller and the stroller must be folded and stored.

And here is where the disconnect happens. These new strollers the size of golf carts simply don’t fold up. And can you imagine the press if a driver were to ‘gently request’ that a mother and her children get off the bus part-way along the route because the stroller didn’t fold up? Can you imagine the fight that the driver would have to put up before a supervisor showed up to enforce the policy?

Mothers, fathers, guardians with children have to get to places too. And considering that life isn’t easy for a lot of people these days, often-times these folks have no choice but to take their kids- both or all of them- to daycare on the way to work or shopping.

So I know it can be frustrating. You can imagine. We’re running two minutes late and our bus is already full. It’s raining and the next bus isn’t for a half hour. What are we to do? Then once the stroller is on, we have to wait for people to move to accommodate the stroller. Now we’re three or maybe four minutes late. Everybody is frustrated, including the person who has the child and stroller. Ugh. Stress everywhere.

So all I can do is thank everybody for helping out. Those who really and truly need a disability seat stay put and everybody shifts around to help out the displaced seniors who still one. It takes time but I find it all works out.

And so to all you able-bodied folk out there. Expect to stand at least once or twice during your trip. I do still… and I’m gracefully heading toward my 50s. If you really want a seat, go to the back of the bus. There, the odds of having to move are pretty slim.

And for Lisa:

To Lisa-

You’re welcome! And thank you for listening with an open mind and an open heart.

• By Michael, April 24, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Hi Brian,

I am a transportation planning student at Langara College. I am wondering what sorts of transit planning related (routing, scheduling, etc) challenges (generally speaking) you see on the ground level?

Thanks!

• By Cosmio, April 24, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

example: route 135.

there are no bus pullouts along hastings. driver will put right signal on to indicate that they are stopping at a stop. when they leave that stop they put the left signal on. why do this when this is incorrect? people in the next lane over think that the bus is changing lanes when it isn’t. aren’t signal for indicating turns and lane changes and not to indicate stopping and going? wouldn’t it be better to use the hazards?

• By Adam, April 24, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

Hi Brian,

I was wondering how recent additions such as GPS on buses and Twitter have affected your day to day work? For example, are people better informed about “stuff”? Are you able to get help quicker if you need it? If you have any other insights that would be neat to know too.

• By Jimmy, April 24, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

What does the RTT, Fare Not Paid, Pass Up, and PRTT buttons do on the TMAC screen?

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 25, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

Hi Michael: Brian has an answer for you:

Hi Michael-
    Thanks for your question. This is a tough question for me to answer, mostly because from my perspective, I don’t know where planning ends and engineering / design begins.

That said, from my perspective, everything in transit- absolutely everything- requires a planner at some stage in the process.

From deciding that a route needs to be established at all to fine-tuning the frequency five years after the route has begun and everything in between.

The work that planners does affect my work and work load every day, including: the placement of stops and their design, the routing of the line, and the choice of equipment we use on that route.

Then of course, there’s the coordination between city planners and transit planners. City planners affect our work too. The timing of lights and placement of advance green turn signals makes a huge difference in our day (and the transit authority’s budget).

Bus stop placement is huge. And believe me, every bus stop is prime real estate so I imagine planners have serious fights on their hands when competing interests start to vie for that space.

A well thought-out bus stop takes into account not only the bus and its requirements, but also is designed to accommodate the passengers who instantly become pedestrians. So signage and wayfinding is a also an aspect that affects my job.

Lucky for you too, the Buzzer crew will have someone from the Planning Department on deck for the Ask Translink series. Sharpen your pencil and get ready to ask her some questions! Believe me, I’ll be watching that segment closely myself.

Planners also have a direct say in how much time we as operators have for running times along the route and recovery times at the end of the route.

We really count on planners to say, “That can’t be done- the operators simply cannot do what this budget is calling for safely and keep the schedule reliable for our passengers.” And we hope that they do.

Sadly, the funding issues right now are causing planners to make some trade offs which are making our jobs more challenging right now. Both running and recovery times have been shortened across the board.

These issues are huge for us because sometimes we don’t have enough time to even go to the washroom. If we take the time we need to go to the washroom, we might leave a little late and making us a little behind schedule before we even start.

Cosmo: Brian also has this for you:

Hi Cosmio-
    Thanks for your question regarding turn signals versus hazards or four-ways as we call them when stopping in a stop and then pulling straight forward and away.

At first blush, you are absolutely correct. Technically speaking, turn signals are intended to indicate lane or direction changes. A bus stopping dead in the lane to discharge and board passengers and then starting up again doesn’t exactly fit into either of those categories.

But here’s the thing. How do we indicate to other drivers that the bus isn’t moving for a l_o_n_g___t_i_m_e like 5 minutes? The only tool we have is to use the four-way flashers to indicate that the bus is, for all intents and purposes, parked.

When we’re just stopping for a bus stop we’re not really parked- we’re just stopped for a few moments. The way we indicate to other drivers to watch out, we’re going to stop…. is by turning on our right turn signal. Then as a reminder to drivers that we’re in fact stopped, many of us will keep the right turn signal on as if to say we’re glued to the curb until we’re ready to go.

Then, once all the doors are closed up and we’re ready to go, we need to let the drivers know that the bus is going to move. So we give a quick flash or two of the left turn signal to indicate that we’re pulling back into traffic by starting straight ahead. It helps drivers behind the bus know that it’s about to roll. And it helps the drivers know as they are about to come alongside that by time they’re just past the front of the bus they’d best not cut over because they might be changing the lane and into the front bumper of the bus as it has just started moving.

On the other hand, if the left turn flasher stays on, we are needing to change lanes. Once the left turn signal has flashed three or four times and more and the bus has not yet moved, it’s clear we need to turn out into the next lane.

We’re not the only transit authority that does this- you’ll find that when you go to other cities, transit buses do exactly the same thing.

Thanks for your insightful question!

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 26, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

Adam: Brian has and answer for you:

Hi Adam-

Thanks for your question.

I’ll first start by saying that Twitter has not affected the work that I do in any way. The twitter feed that Translink has is intended to keep our passengers informed of delays and reroutes. For those of us behind the wheel, we get that information directly from the source- the transit communication supervisors. However,the information we get is quite limited. As I’m driving my 41, I don’t know if there are any problems on the #10 line that crosses it, so, I can’t tell my passengers that it might be faster to take the #17 on Oak Street instead. While that’s maybe a point for improvement, remember that the less my eyes are taken off the road to read memos that might not be relevant to me on my TMAC screen is a good thing.

So the Twitter feed is good for users of the system. Keep up the good work, you guys and gals who run the feed!

However, the GPS is another matter altogether.

Bus scheduling is being revolutionized world-wide because of GPS. In the ‘olden days’, a schedule was verified by “transit checkers”. Transit checkers were people working in a small group who would spend an entire day or two at a single intersection, verifying each bus as it passed, looking to see if it was on time, ahead, or behind schedule, and roughly how many people were on board.

This gave planners and schedulers a “snap-shot” of that route in that location at that particular time. It was helpful but not terribly useful and reliable data.

Today, GPS-driven data can give planners and schedulers real-time data, 24-hours a day, on any route- about any specific bus on any route even. Planners can see where the delays are, where things bog down. They can see where the bus tends to run ahead of schedule. They can then make adjustments accordingly. Some of our buses (and soon to be all of our buses with the advent of the Compass Card) can ‘count’ how many people board and alight at each stop so planners and schedulers have a fairly accurate idea of how many people are on the buses at all times too.

The trouble is, now there’s so much data it’s hard to keep on top of it all. This is just a guess on my part, but imagine going from a couple of pages of data per month to encyclopaedic-sized volumes in the same period of time. All I have to do is drive but the GPS affects me in my daily work too.

Thanks to GPS, mechanics, supervisors, and security staff know, within the distance to travel about one minute, exactly where my bus is. So, if the bus is broken down or I am in trouble and need assistance, they can pin point my location with the click of a mouse. If I need to talk to someone, I simply have to press a button and they’ll be on the line as soon as they can get to my call. There was a time when bus drivers had to carry nickels and dimes and know where every pay phone along the line was if they needed help.

The GPS system also generates the bus stop announcements allowing me to concentrate on the road. And if I’m new on a route, the GPS will even indicate to me how far it is to the next bus stop so I don’t miss it.

Thanks for the question!

And for you Jimmy:

Hi Jimmy-

There’s not much I can say about them other than they help us plan out the safety and security of the transit system and notify our control centre of any issue that might arise while on shift.

• By Cliff, April 26, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

Here Jimmy, I found this while searching for the answer.

I would fathom a guess and say that those buttons notify the communication centre and send out the appropriate people to rectify the reason as to why that button was pressed.

They may not have the resources to go after each and every person who walks on without paying, but I’m guessing that when the “Fare not paid” button is pressed, if transit police are nearby, the communication centre can have them pay the bus a visit.

This is in vast contrast to if the red button is pressed, which I can only assume means that, if required, the nearest transit police would be summoned, regardless of how far they are, along with local police and any additional assistance that may be needed.

I can only hope the “Pass up” button summons a complimentary taxi to the unfortunate person who wound up being the reason for pressing it. :p

• By Tony, April 28, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

Hello Brian. Do you know when will translink have another job fair? I got a perfect driving record and definitely want to become a bus operator in the future. But I need your guidance on how to go upon achieving that. Thanks.

• By BCPublicTransitFan, April 29, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

Hi Brian,

Two questions actially
    What’s your say on transit fans?
    And, what times do you leave Oakridge 41st for UBC in the morning? I pretty much take the 41 daily, might just ride that one if its the right time for me, and say hi…

Jimmy: PRTT and RTT are some kind of radio communications thing, Pass up signals control that the bus is skipping stops because of the bus is full, and also Fare not Paid is some sort of thing for if a passenger doesn’t pay…

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, April 30, 2013 @ 8:44 am

Hi you guys — sadly, Brian’s time answering questions on the blog was over last Friday! But I’ll see what I can do to get some answers for you.

Tony: I asked our HR department and there isn’t a career fair currently planned for the near future. However, you can check out our online careers portal and apply to any external operator job openings. The job openings can be viewed on both the CMBC and TransLink portals. Currently, we don’t have a job posting for operators, but there should be one in the near future.

• By Ryan, July 14, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

I would like to know what are the proper questions to ask during the interview with trans link

1. The Buzzer blog » Ask TransLink: join Brian Revel on Facebook for a real-time chat at 11am, Thu April 25, 2013 — April 25, 2013 @ 8:44 am

2. The Buzzer blog » Ask TransLink: bus operator Brian Revel answers allmost every possible question about buses and says thanks — April 26, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

3. The Buzzer blog » Ask TransLink: welcome to our April special post series! — May 6, 2013 @ 9:42 am