In May, we kicked off Transport 2050, our largest ever public engagement, to ask the people of the region: what kind of transportation future do you want?
With just over two weeks to go before Phase 1 engagement ends on September 22, over 26,000 surveys and 2,000 ideas have been submitted! Not only that, our outreach team has been to nearly every corner of Metro Vancouver – including at the PNE Fair at the Transport 2050 Expo!
The clock is ticking — have you had your say? Tell us about your values, priorities, and ideas for the future before the survey closes on September 22.
What are we hearing? Read on!
Ideas: 2,000+ bold ideas for the future of the region!
Here are some of the new ideas submitted last month with the most active online conversations:
- Customer mobility amenities – bring ‘em on! Connect the Granville Island Bridge deck to Granville Island with an escalator and a staircase. Consider installing moving sidewalks to feed people into SkyTrain stations. Provide multi-level entrances to SkyTrain stations that are built on hills.
- Novel east-west connections: Make it easy to connect between the Canada Line and Expo Line in Surrey and Richmond. Add a rapid transit line or express bus connector.
- And don’t forget about north-south! Start running a Coquitlam to Guildford express service.
- “TransLink GO” – Pokémon GO but for transit: Create a mobile app that rewards transit and active transportation users with rewards, like free passes.
- The future is digital: Link Compass Cards with Apple Wallet to access fare gates. Give Compass Card users get free wi-fi access on board, and in public spaces.
- Water, water everywhere… Install public drinking fountains at SkyTrain stations. Provide more covered areas at SkyTrain stations so customers can stay dry through the wet season.
- Park this! Change the building code – remove parking construction minimums, introduce a parking maximum to rein in cars.
Check out the Transport 2050 Ideas Board – like and comment on existing transportation ideas – or submit your own!
Surveys | 26,000 and counting!
Have you taken our survey? It’s open until September 22.
Surveys submitted by Metro Vancouver municipality and monthly increase in responses
|Municipality||Total submissions||Per cent increase (one month)|
|North Vancouver (City)||919||47%|
|North Vancouver (District)||998||43%|
|Tsawwassen First Nation||21||163%|
|Vancouver (including University Endowment Lands)||7,765||51%|